I had a bunch of left over boiled broccoli from dinner a couple nights ago and knew we probably weren’t going to eat it unless it got used in something else. I thought quiche, but I didn’t feel like going through the trouble of making a crust. I’m not an expert but as far as I can tell the Spanish frittata is similar to crustless quiche. Whatever it is called, I knew basically what it would look like and taste like, you can’t really go wrong with butter, mozzarella cheese, eggs, broccoli, spring onions. By using milk instead of heavy cream, the end result would be less fattening.
I found a recipe but changed it to make it easier to prepare. Frankly, I didn’t feel like making sauteed onions and broccoli mix, that step would have added a lot more time and a dirty frying pan. You can use whatever kind of cheese you want. I used a square pyrex baking dish. I would spray the pyrex or pan with some cooking spray to keep it from sticking.
2-3 cups of cooked broccoli roughly chopped
3-4 Spring Onions Chopped (1 regular small onion would work too)
1 1/2 cups of milk
Some cheese, 1 cup shredded or 4 pieces of sliced doesn’t really matter.
1/4 cup butter
- Spray Pyrex with cooking spray
- Arrange your chopped broccoli and onion in the bottom of the pyrex dish.
- Add about 4 slices of cheese, just to cover the broccoli and onion, about 1 cup if shredded.
- In a mixing bowl, mix 4 or 5 eggs, milk, melted butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over your broccoli cheese mix.
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes, check for doneness and remove from oven.
Be careful, this dish stays hot for a while after taking out of the oven. It needs to cool a bit before eating.
This is great for breakfast, it would be really good in a breakfast burrito. You can add it just as it is, add your favorite hot sauce, I was even thinking some crunchy Frito topping would be good on this.
This one was made with shredded cheese and the cheese mixed in better. Both ways were delicious.